Shaggy Hair Bow

I have been so inspired by all the hair bows I've seen on the web lately, but I wanted to try to translate the hair bow into a do that someone around 30 or older could rock without looking like they're trying to be a teen...or Lady Gaga...or Minnie Mouse. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Moving on! This is how I did a shaggy hair bow.

First, I decided to pop a headband on in the front of my do, but you could do whatever you please. Maybe a braid or bangs? Whatever you like.

Step 1) I popped on a headband (do whatever you like here).

Step 2) Behind the band a pulled up a 1 inch (2.5 cm) band of hair, hair-sprayed near the root, then back-combed.

Step 3) Flip the piece you just worked on forward, grab another 1 inch band, spray it, and back-comb it. If you have enough hair, do another section behind this one as well.

Step 4) Flip it all back in place (I realize this looks nuts).

Step 5) Use a comb to gently tame the crazy.

Step 6) Pull it back into a tight, low ponytail.

Step 7) Separate the ponytail into three equal sections.

Step 8) Pin the middle section up out of the way.

Step 9) Give one side section some hairspray.

Step 10) Give the same section some light back-combing all the way down. Gentle on the ends though.

Step 11) Because my hair is so long I'm using a curling iron to help me roll up the bow sides and keep them rolled up.

Step 12) Use the curl you just created to roll the bow side up and firmly attach it to your head near the ponytail base.

Step 13) You may need to use some pins to splay out the bow side and keep in spread out.

Step 14) Do steps 9-13 to the other side of the bow.

Step 15) Let that middle piece down now. Pull the piece up and pin it firmly at the top of the base of the ponytail.

Step 16) Now flip that middle piece down through the middle of the bow and pin firmly below the base of the ponytail. There will probably be some left over hair that you can roll up and pin behind one of the sides of the bow.

Tah dah! I love it. A shagtastic bow for any age.

Tomorrow's post: A six foot fork. No lyin'.

Pin It

9 comments:

  1. That is so cute! You always have such adorable hair tutorials. I know I say it every time I comment, but I can't wait to grow my hair long again to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is an open niche for hair tutorials for shorter hair. Maybe you could give some a try and post them? I like your cut! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need you here for all the dog shows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. <3 Gorgeous!!! Wish I had the patience!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No patience needed...just hairspray. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow! that is amazing... I usually just drag my mane into a ponytail and then half through and pull it all out all over the place, and I have to say, this style is much more elegant and stylish!! TFS!!!Love the nape possie, it is definitely a winner!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tried this hairstyle last night for work- It was a major success! and on the first try, too! I can't wait to try it again!

    ReplyDelete